Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Useless Information Enclosed.

For my final art project I was inspired by checking the mail today. I love getting meaningful mail, which also means I despise getting junk mail that I end up throwing in the trash- a lot of this junk mail ironically says "important information enclosed" or something to that extent. I think it's wasteful of environmental resources and energy, and wasteful of the time it takes to open it and throw it out. I decided then, to create junk mail.

I purchased a box of envelopes from the nearest Kinkos, the type of envelope with the clear film strip to see the addressee's name. I decided that I wanted to have the junk mail come from UCI, so I looked up UCI's logo and funnily enough they put all of them on a webpage for you to choose from. I downloaded a simple logo, shrunk it down to size, and printed out 40 envelopes with the logo on the top left hand side. Then, I took 40 sheets of regular printer paper and typed "Fellow Anteater" in the middle, as the addressee. I don't want to ruin the project by saying what I wrote inside and why I addressed it from UCI, so I'll leave that for tomorrow. My reasons for what I wrote inside are also to be revealed tomorrow. After I folded up all the papers, I put them in the envelopes and distributed them out into the real world. I live in VDC Norte and there are little clips on the doors where Norte puts up notices, so I put four of my envelopes on four different doors. Then I took two to Norte's mail room and two to the post office at the University Town Center.

My project is a mechanical reproduction of the junk mail we see in the physical world via standard snail mail as well as online, digitally in the form of junk email/spam.

No comments:

Post a Comment