Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Write a Letter

>

In this day and age, it is rare to receive a handwritten letter in the mail from a friend. Everyone is so caught up in their hectic daily activities so we make a habit of texting and emailing to stay in touch. We never actually take the time to sit down and write out a thoughtful note to the people we love. In my final project, I want to make people think about their friends and loved ones in the place that most reminds them of keeping in touch, the old fashion way.

I want to inconspicuously post my piece at different mailboxes. I have chosen a variety of quotes by famous writers about friendship that I hope will make people reflect on the importance of their relationships. I printed out these quotes on shipping labels so that they could be stuck anywhere on or near a mailbox. I chose to have them be clear so that they wouldn’t stand out so much at first, but over time, they would be seen, like the importance of a friend.

Although the quotes I used are by famous writers, I didn’t want this to simply be about a quote on a wall. I wrote out the quote, and then I ended it with a closing valediction such as “Yours Truly” or “Regards”, followed by the author’s name. Instead of using the commonly known name of the writer such as William Shakespeare, I have changed it so that the name sounds more like an everyday person, like Will S. I want people to read the quote as if it is a short letter, so that they may get the idea to sit down and write a letter themselves, then send it in the mail.

Things You Will Need:

• Ink Jet Shipping Labels

• Printer

• Quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment