Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Know Your Roots.

Background:
For my intervention project, I decided to expand from my collections project and use the tree made of aluminum wire. My purpose in doing so was to relate the attributes of a tree to a quote that I have always followed by - "Know Your Roots". I decided to expand on this quote and add a little bit more to make it my own by adding onto the second half of the quote - "For humility is the seed to success". I decided to use a deeper and more meaningful message rather than a witty or sarcastic one. I'm a big believer in humility and being humble, so I wanted to emphasize this through my art.
My purpose in making this statement is that I have encountered many people who are talented and have been very successful in their hobbies or occupations. It truly is a shame to see that such a talented person can be so cocky and boast about their skills rather than being humble. For a lack of better words, it's a turn off and is very unappealing. With this quote, I want to reinstate the idea that everyone should appreciate their background and their roots.

Process -
Expanding on the wire tree from my collection assignment, I decided to make forty smaller wire trees and attach a note to each of them. Attached to each tree is the quote:

"Know your roots, for humility is the seed to success."

Take pride in your background, and remember how hard you have worked or what you have done to be where you are now. Acknowledge it. Embrace it. Otherwise, your ignorance will lead to your downfall.

I placed my wire trees in the eight following places (I wanted to place it in areas that I know people will see it):
1) Mesa Court
2) University Town Center (Focus Dance Center)
3) The UCI Bookstore
4) UCI Student Center by the ATMS
5) Cyber A
6) Near the Dance Department office
7) Bren Events Center (Hopefully it's still there for commencement)
8) By the Theater on the Student Media Newspaper stand

How-To

Materials needed:
1) Aluminum wire
2) Wire cutters
3) Paper
4) Printer
4) Tape

To complete a similar intervention, first cut out ten pieces of aluminum wire of roughly the same length. Group together the wires and pull out a few strands on the bottom (used later to mold roots/branches). Take another piece of wire and securely tie together the ten sticks of wire. Once secure, prop out the bottom of the bundle to mold the roots; to ensure that it will stand, make sure there are at least 3-4 roots. Begin to create the branches to your liking. Once you have completed the tree, attach a note (can be of any type - funny, sad, hopeful - and of any font [I used Copperplate Light]) to the trunk of the tree. Place your wire tree in an area in which many people can encounter your intervention.

No comments:

Post a Comment